Wonderful Machine is a marketing engine for commercial photographers. We provide our members with the most efficient way to be visible to a broad range of high-quality clients. By optimizing the number of photographers, specialties, and locations on our site, and by insisting on a high standard of quality from all of our photographers, we have been able to create a uniquely valuable resource for clients. Keeping our focus on the needs of those clients allows us to deliver superior results for our photographers.
Wonderful Machine leverages the power of over 600 photographers, enabling us to research and connect with more clients than any individual photographer or rep ever could. We don’t take commissions and we don’t require exclusivity. We simply charge a monthly fee for basic promotion, and an hourly fee for help with design, editing, writing, estimates or production, upon request. This structure allows our photographers to scale our support up or down according to their needs at any given moment, and it allows us to promote our otherwise represented photographers without conflict of interest.
Nobody promotes their photographers as aggressively as we promote ours. Here’s what we do:
- We offer the fastest and simplest search interface in the industry.
- Every day our producers are on the phone connecting individual photographers with clients who are appropriate for them.
- Each week we feature our photographers in email promotions that go out to creatives at significant ad agencies, magazines, corporations, graphic design firms and others in The Americas, Europe, Asia and Oceania using accessEmail by Agency Access.
- Every month we host portfolio events for major clients in New York and across North America.
- Each month we send out print mailers to our best prospects.
- Every month we place ads on prominent industry websites and blogs.
- We publish daily news items and keep clients posted on our photographers’ accomplishments on our blog.
- We facilitate publicity coverage for our photographers and our company.
- We’re listed on many other photography directories including Production Paradise, FoundFolios, Workbook, Dripbook, Krop, The Creative Finder, Select, PhotoServe, One Eye Land, Creative Shake, Behance Network and Altpick.
- We network with other industry professionals on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, YouTube and Vimeo.
- Clients can see recently published work on the Tear Sheets section of our site.
- We update our photographers’ profiles regularly to keep the site fresh, and so our members don’t have to.
- We pass along frequent stock requests to our members.
- Our monthly Ideabox newsletter updates our photographers on our latest promotional efforts, and it reports on other items of interest.
- Our staff members are always available to help our photographers. They’re active in the creative community – taking part in industry events, offering expert advice, and winning awards.
- We have negotiated a number of vendor discounts for our photographers and we are constantly cultivating strategic partnerships.
- We offer a wide range of consulting services including photo editing, retouching, design, copywriting, marketing, pricing & negotiating, and production.
- Many of our photographers have reps (which we encourage), and we complement rather than compete with those reps. Here are some agents whose photographers work with us: Adrenalin Management, Andrea Hutchins, Blasco Creative, Bunny Fisher Represents, Claudine Steffen, Contrasto, Cynthia Held, Deddens + Deddens, Dovis Bird Agency, Faucher Artists, Green House, Happy Artists, Hilton Media Group, Horton Stephens, International Rescue, Invision Images, JH Artist Group, Kane Larin, Katie Swanson Artist Representative, Lenlee Jenckes, Look, L2 Agency, Mark Gibson, Match Photographers, Hennessy Represents, Melody George & Associates, Michael Ginsburg & Associates, Mitey Big, NOI Pictures, Novus Select, Paula Gren Reps, PhotoAgent, PhotoBy Solutions, Randal Walker Management, Randy Cole Represents, Rex Agency, RPresenter, Schumann & Company, Servicepool fur Creative Organisation, Stone Camera Management, Tom Maloney Reps, Wolf & Company, zero2sixty|creative.
- Since creatives tend to contact our photographers directly, we won’t know about every assignment we generate for them. But we do frequently hear about the positive impact we’re having. When we do, we add those comments to our Successes page. Results certainly vary, but here’s a recent Tumblr post about us by Zack Arias.
- The cost for a U.S. photographer listing is $150.00/month (or $120.00/month if you link back to us on your contact page). International photographers pay discounted rates depending on location.
Our goal is simply to provide photographers with great marketing and production support at a reasonable cost. If you are a photographer or a rep, and you’re interested in hearing more about membership or our consulting services, please email Paul Stanek or call him at 610.260.0200.