Wonderful Machine is a marketing engine for commercial photographers. We provide our members with the most efficient way to be visible to a broad range of high-quality clients. By optimizing the number of photographers, specialties, and locations on our site, and by insisting on a high standard of quality from all of our photographers, we’ve been able to create a uniquely valuable resource for clients. Keeping our focus on the needs of those clients allows us to deliver superior results for our photographers.
Wonderful Machine leverages the power of over 700 photographers, enabling us to research and connect with more clients than any individual photographer or rep ever could. We don’t take commissions and we don’t require exclusivity. We simply charge a monthly fee for a listing on our site, and an hourly fee for help with photo editing, design, publicity & copywriting, marketing, pricing & negotiating, and production, upon request (we offer our consulting services to all photographers, not just members). This structure allows photographers to scale our support up or down according to their needs at any given moment, and it allows us to promote our otherwise-represented members without conflict of interest.
Nobody promotes their photographers as aggressively as we promote ours. Here’s what we do:
- We offer the fastest and simplest search interface in the industry.
- Every day our producers are on the phone connecting individual photographers with clients who are appropriate for them.
- Each week we feature our photographers in email promotions that go out to creatives at significant ad agencies, magazines, corporations, graphic design firms and others in The Americas, Europe, Asia and Oceania using accessEmail by Agency Access.
- Every month we host portfolio events for major clients in New York and across North America.
- Each month we send out print mailers to our best prospects.
- Every month we place ads on prominent industry websites.
- Every day, we brag about our photographers’ accomplishments on our blog.
- We facilitate publicity for our photographers and our company.
- We use social media to network with other industry professionals on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram.
- We update our photographers’ profiles regularly to keep the site fresh, and so our members don’t have to worry about it.
- We pass along frequent stock requests to our members.
- Our monthly Ideabox newsletter updates our photographers on our latest promotional efforts, and it reports on other items of interest.
- Our staff members are always available to help our photographers. And they’re active in the creative community – taking part in industry events and offering expert advice.
- We have negotiated a number of vendor discounts for our photographers and we are frequently cultivating strategic partnerships.
- We offer all photographers a wide range of consulting services.
- We provide information on assistants, stylists, studios, equipment rental and more on our Crew page.
- We provide information on agents, professional services, website templates, and more on our Resources page.
- Many of our photographers have reps (which we encourage), and we complement rather than compete with those reps. Here are some agents whose photographers work with us: Adrenalin Management, Andrea Hutchins, Blasco Creative, Bunny Fisher Represents, Claudine Steffen, Contrasto, Cynthia Held, Deddens + Deddens, Dovis Bird Agency, Faucher Artists, Green House, The Gren Group, Happy Artists, Hilton Media Group, Horton Stephens, International Rescue, Invision Images, JH Artist Group, Kane Larin, Katie Swanson Artist Representative, Lenlee Jenckes, Look, L2 Agency, Mark Gibson, Match Photographers, Hennessy Represents, Melody George & Associates, Michael Ginsburg & Associates, Mitey Big, NOI Pictures, Novus Select, PhotoAgent, PhotoBy Solutions, Randal Walker Management, Randy Cole Represents, Rex Agency, RPresenter, Schumann & Company, Servicepool fur Creative Organisation, Stone Camera Management, Tom Maloney Reps, Wolf & Company, zero2sixty creative.
- Since clients tend to contact our photographers directly, we won’t know about every assignment we generate for them. But we do frequently hear about the positive impact we’re having, which we note on our Successes page.
- You can read lots of frequently asked questions on our FAQ page.
- You can read about our backstory on Kate Osba’s blog.
- The cost for a U.S. photographer listing is $180.00/month (or $144.00/month if you link back to us from your contact page). International photographers pay discounted rates depending on their location.
In a nutshell, our goal is to provide photographers with solid marketing and production support at a reasonable cost. If you are a photographer or a rep, and you’re interested in hearing more about membership or our consulting services, please email Karrisa Olsen.